Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Trinidad and Tobago



A few months ago we got the chance to travel down to Trinidad and Tobago again to see my parents. I have visited there enough times to feel like I was going back "home". I knew the airport well, the driver, directions, restaurants, things to do, the beaches, etc. However, this was the first time Justin got to join. I was so excited to show him the islands. We upgraded to first class on the way down there and we were just "giddy" about the flight! We had so much fun pretending this was a normal thing for us to do. We landed safely and Clyde and my mom picked us up. We drove back to their house with cold Carib's in hand and chatted my mom's ears off. We stayed in Trinidad for a few days- got to visit some famous beaches, had lunch at Richard's Bake and Shark, tried the local cuisine and enjoyed the culture. 













Then we headed to Tobago. Justin is not a fan of small prop planes, but there is no other way to reach the island. Although this was a short, 25 minute flights, he was nervous the whole time. 
We again, landed safely and met up with the next driver who took us to our villa. We stopped on the way and got some snacks and beverages so we could keep a fully stocked kitchen. 

While we were at Blue Waters, we did a lot of sitting on the beach, diving, kayaking, and reading. Justin took the Kayaks out one time and went around the bend and took almost an hour to get back. My mom even came out looking for us to make sure we were okay. One of the guys at the hotel explained the current to her and told her of how some couple went out, and never came back! 

Justin knocked down a coconut from the tree and after about 20 minutes of hacking into it, he finally got to the milk! 
Tobago is one of my favorite places in the world- and I don't get much happier than sitting on the rocking boat in full sun, listening to my music with a cold carib in hand. Justin and my parents went scuba diving several times, but the thought didn't even cross my mind! Out of the 459 photos (not joking) that we took, here are a few of my favorites! Maybe some day we will be able to go back there even though my parents no longer live there. Some day.